By Sheila Kupersmith, FNP
Do you need help with more energy and your sense of wellbeing? This is the perfect time of year for Spring Cleaning! Spring is a time of renewal and transformation. It’s also a great time for doing general health maintenance or getting a jump start on weight loss, controlling cravings, and for creating better health habits. When we’re exposed to so many pesticides, heavy metals, chemicals and Xenoestrogens on a daily basis, a good cleansing plan is essential for optimal health.
The change of seasons is an optimal time to help the body rid itself of toxins by supporting good digestion and liver detox pathways. The benefits include improved energy, elimination of toxins, mental clarity, clear skin, weight loss, and immune boosting. It’s important to note, however, that if you are breastfeeding, pregnant, or have kidney disease, liver disease, or cancer, it’s a good idea to wait if you want to do a more intensive detox protocol. But for the most part, a general cleanse and modification of your habits is very helpful, no matter what your health status is.
While it is essential to have a good foundation before doing any type of more intensive detox protocol, a cleanse is a great method that helps to clean up your lifestyle and work on improving the following aspects:
- Digestion – Probiotic support, hydration, and fiber to keep your bowels moving are essential elements that will help move waste out of the body. Ground flaxseed (1-2 tbsp daily) can be an easy way to support this pathway and contains other benefits as well. Bitter greens or herbal bitters can be used at the beginning of meals to support better digestive function as well.
- Hydration – Shoot for 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, per day. Pure filtered water is ideal.
- Movement – Get out and move your body daily in fresh clean air. Try yoga, pilates or Tai Chi with a combination of high intensity interval training. Sweating is an important part of eliminating toxins from our system and workouts or sauna therapy can support a good sweat. Movement of the lymph with skin brushing and massage can also helpful.
- Nutritional intake – Choose plenty of fresh fruits and veggies in the rainbow of colors for antioxidant support and optimizing nutrient intake. Consider reducing portion sizes and caloric intake and try time-restricted eating to give your gut a rest. Foods like green tea, curcumin and broccoli sprouts (which contain the most sulfurophane), and cilantro are great to include as well, as they contain special abilities for expelling toxins.
- Stress Reduction – Breath work, progressive muscle relaxation, guided imagery, meditation, adequate sleep, and fun in your life.
- Avoidance of toxins – Minimize exposures by avoiding toxins. Choose organics and grass fed products to avoid toxins. Cut out all sugar, alcohol, and caffeine. Check out the Environmental Work Group for their resources on the “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean 15” food lists for choosing produce. Also EWG’s Skin Deep database is great for finding quality skin care products to avoid toxins applied to the skin.
- Air Pollution – If air quality is a concern, consider using an air purifier in your home or work place. Austin Air or Q Air are good quality machines.
- Improved detox pathways – Essential minerals and nutrients are important to have on board as a foundation to support good detox pathways. Consider doing micronutrient testing first if your diet has not been optimal. Our own Cloud 9 IV formula is now available through Onus IV in Boulder as well. You will need to ask specifically about this custom intravenous formula, and let them know you are a Cloud Member for special pricing. This is an awesome way to replenish vitamins and minerals quickly.
- For a more guided approach to detoxing and cleansing, you can also check out our friends at Conscious Cleanse. They do a fabulous job at providing targeted support in cleaning up your diet and supporting the changes in moving toward a healthier lifestyle.
- While lifestyle changes are the foundation of cleansing and detox, we do have kits that can also help kick-start the process. We carry Xymogen 6 day detox kits which include Homeopathics to support and open detox channels, a fiber supplement to help with bowel regularity, a probiotic, and a shake for nutrient repletion.
- If a more targeted approach to specific detoxification is needed, we offer advanced diagnostic lab testing and specific supplementation for support. We offer micronutrient, heavy metal and other biomarker testing to get a full picture of your gut health, right in our offices. Make an appointment for a conversation if you feel your case warrants further investigation.
Happy Spring Cleaning to all of you!
The Cloud Medical Team